ABOUT “KFAR GALIM”
“Kfar Galim” is an educational youth village, which belongs to Hof HaCarmel Regional Council. It is located on the Mediterranean coastline and at the foot of the Carmel Mountain ridge.
“Kfar Galim” was established in 1953, as a part of the settling enterprise, during the establishment of the state of Israel. The village was established as an educational center in order to educate and train the local students, in the spirit of the values of labor and agriculture, democracy and tolerance, fulfillment and settlement.
During its 60 years of existence thousands of students from the area and from all over the country studied and were educated in the village. A broad range of students from various Israeli society levels, including students from villages and Kibbutzim, students from Haifa, Atlit, and Tirat HaCarmel, students from the minority Druze community, recent immigrants and immigrant decedents from the USSR and Ethiopia, and others learned and were educated in the village together.
The village today
Today the village includes:
- The regional “Galim” high school (Grades 7-12) – Serves students from the northern settlements of the Hof HaCarmel Regional Council, and students from the village’s boarding school. During the last few years the school has undergone a process of growing and expanding – today, it hosts about 600 students and in about 3-4 years it is expected to host about 1200 students.
- College for Practical Engineers (grades 13 &14) – A specialized program in Electricity and Electronics, which was designed in cooperation with the Israeli Air Force. Upon completion of their studies, students are awarded with a Practical Engineering degree and can take part in the Israeli Air Force.
- An Educational Boarding School – Hosts students from all over the country, veteran Israelis, recent immigrants and immigrants’ decedents from the USSR and from Ethiopia, Druze community, and others, who preferred to be educated outside of their homes. Today, the boarding school hosts 170 students and it is expected to grow in the future up to 250 students.
- Environmental Innovation Centers – Unique centers of activity and study, that allow to get an educational experience through creation, established in order to develop awareness, involvement and regional environmental leadership of the village students, motivating them to contribute to the community in the area.
Other unique establishments in the village include:
1. Ofer’s Hut – A music center, established in memory of Ofer Ron who was killed by a suicide bomber.
2. Kfar Galim Radio – FM106 – An educational radio station, run by the communication department students.
3. Maccabi Haifa Soccer Academy – For students from all over the country who show special talents in soccer.
4. Day Boarding School – A center which offers students academic support and enrichment at the end of the school day.
5. Bridging Center – Training students to become a “connecting link” both at school and in the boarding school.
The village’s future vision
In our vision for the village we wish:
- To develop and promote the village as a regional educational center for “environmental leadership”, emphasizing the relations between human beings and their environment. Both in aspects of sustainability and ecology, and in the aspects of connection to the country and the state.
In this light, we would like to establish an educational visitor center, designated for groups of students from near and far, who will be hosted in the village for days of educating and experiencing the different ideas of “environmental leadership”.
- To develop and promote the village’s school, as a strong quality regional school, hosting a range of students from the local settlements and the boarding school offering a variety of programs and experiences which allow each one of the students to implement their capabilities while experiencing common multi cultural communal lives, based on values of mutual honor, tolerance, love of humankind, the country and the state.
- To develop and promote the village’s boarding school, as a good quality boarding school, providing a “second home” to students from diverse origins all around the country who wish to be educated and study in a boarding school outside of their home. To provide these students with all they need for education, empowerment, and the fulfillment of their aspirations.
- To develop and promote the village as a “community center”, incorporated in the community of Hof HaCarmel Regional Council, responding to the community’s needs, while taking advantage of the vast potential the village holds.
Pini Agranti – Kfar Galim Managing Director